Thursday, May 19, 2011

Another 2 Bite the Dust

I am proud to say I am 2 boxes closer to dominating the mountain that is Special K cereal. With 7 boxes down now and to the best of my shopping knowledge 6 boxes to go, I've reached the halfway point by taking care of the most recent 2 flavors. I've been getting a lot of good feedback from my posts and even got a phone call the other day from my man Thomas Kano. He had a dilemma... Stuck in South Carolina doing summer sales all by his lonesome. He found himself in the cereal aisle and (like mentioned in an earlier blog post) was overcome by the vast expanse of cereal selections. In this overwhelming moment he remembered my quest and searched through his pockets frantically for his phone hoping that he had enough battery left to make the call because everyone knows iPhone batteries last as long as a road trip with a flat tire, or a can of gasoline at scout camp (enter explosion noise and the smell of singed eyebrows here). Alas the battery had charge and I was able to guide him through the process. I helped him pick the cereal that was right for him based on my personal knowledge of the cereals and his personal preferences. This is just one of many experiences I expect will happen in the near future. I'm glad to be of service to friends in need.

Here are this week's ratings:

Special K Vanilla Almond:

Taste: 7.2, I was very impressed with this cereal. I'll be quite honest it was my first experience with "Vanilla" as one of the flavors in my cereal. It seems like a common flavor but after tasting it I realized I don't know if I have ever had a cereal with vanilla flavoring. It was great, and might I add the after milk was among the best I've ever drank.

Crave Factor: 8, The flavor was so intriguing I couldn't just stop at 1 bowl. It was a new experience for me so I had to make sure I was getting it for all it was worth.

Crunch Resistance: 4, This one scored a little higher than the rest. It may have been because I ate it so fast that it stayed crunchy. Nonetheless according to my experience it was still semi-crunchy at the last bite.

Overall Satisfaction: 7.7, I believe I covered everything in the above categories, but I would like to put in another plug for the milk after I was done, Soooo Good!


Special K Cinnamon Pecan:

Taste: 6, This cereal wasn't bad but the flavor wasn't potent at all. I think the pecans they use just don't have a ton of flavor so I didn't feel like I was getting the best bang for my buck. The cinnamon wasn't that prominent either until the aftertaste kicked in. Kinda like a watered down cinnamon toast crunch.

Crave Factor: 4.8, Wasn't too excited to pour another bowl other than to decide if it really had flavor or not.

Crunch resistance: 4, Not too bad, also was a little more crunchy than the others I have eaten.

Overall Satisfaction: 5, This honestly wasn't a bad cereal, but in a competition where it is judged against every other cereal ever made it has to hang out somewhere in the middle. Didn't shine in any particular way for me but if you like cinnamon and pecans it's definitely something I would recommend trying.

With around 4 flavors left I hope to have them all down and recorded by next week so I can move on to something else and crown the Special K King and the not so special k scum.

Here is the leader board for Special K so far:



SK Oats and Honey: 9.3
SK Vanilla Almond: 7.7
SK Original: 6.9
SK Red Berry: 6.5
SK Cinnamon Pecan: 5
SK Blueberry: 3.5
SK Fruit and Yogurt: 2.4




Keep it Real

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey what I don't get is when you rate a certain cereal such as "Special K Vanilla Almond" and the ratings noted are: 7.2, 8 & 4 then the overall should actually be 6.4 unless I am missing something? ;-)

    ...just trying to make up for all the erroneous quotes that have been attributed to a person such as I.

    ReplyDelete